Pet Safety During the Holidays

While the holidays are the most magical time of the year, it can also be a nightmare for pets. Eating table scraps or chewing Christmas decorations can send your pet to the ER. How can you keep your pet safe during the holidays?

Pet Safety During the Holidays

There’s so many delicious dishes to taste during the holidays. A little bit is ok for your dog, right? Not exactly!

Uncle Ed may be feeding your dog every table scrap. And your 2 year old cousin Sally is dropping chocolate cookies on the floor. While it seems so innocent, one bad ingredient could become a medical emergency for your dog.

Foods to Avoid

  • Grapes/raisins
  • Alcohol
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Tea
  • Uncooked meat, poultry, fish (and their bones)
  • Grease
  • Gravies
  • Unbaked yeast dough
  • Xylitol (artificial sweetener found in baked goods)

Safe storage and disposal of these food items is key to keeping your dog safe. When your family meal is over, immediately store food in the fridge or freezer.

If throwing out food scraps, place in a trash bin that your dog can't get to. You don’t want to dispose of food in a garbage bin that can be knocked over or broken into by the dog.

If you're planning to deck the halls with boughs of holly, you might want to reconsider. Holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias can be very toxic to animals. These substances can cause stomach irritation, mouth ulcers, and GI blockages.

Lighting holiday candles creates a beautiful scene but can be a fire hazard. If your pup has anxiety or is prone to getting into things, candles can be knocked over even when left in a safe place. It may be better to avoid candles and use flameless LED candles instead.

Burning potpourri or using an essential oil diffuser can be harmful to pets. While dogs can be around essential oils, cats are extremely sensitive to oils. Dogs and cats can have lethargy and mobility issues if they ingest or inhale essential oils. It is best to avoid these items especially if you have cats.

Tinsel, string, yarn, and ribbon can cause digestive blockages if eaten in excess. It is best to avoid or use in areas of the home that will be out of the dog's reach.

Tree needles can cause mouth irritation and digestive blockages if ingested. Water in tree stands can expose your dog to chemicals and bacteria, if consumed. If you have a curious pup or cat, an artificial tree may be the safest.

While you can’t babysit the dog 24/7, you can take precautions to keep your dog safe this holiday season.

Avoid using items and decorations that you know may peak an interest in your pet. Counsel guests that feeding the table scraps to the animals is forbidden. Avoid lighting candles or potpourri to limit inhalation of toxins. Taking extra precautions will keep your animal safe this holiday season.