Dogs can carry dirt and parasites on their fur. Depending on your dog’s level of activity, dog beds should be cleaned once or twice weekly.
Steps to Washing Dog’s Bed
- Vacuum fur and debris before wash to prevent clogging washing machine.
- Pretreat stains.
- Use natural, dye-free, fragrance-free and/or organic detergent. You want your pet to sleep comfortably and allergy-free.
- Wash with water at 140 degrees Fahrenheit or hotter. This ensures killing any bacteria, insects, and parasites.
- Add one-half cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to disinfect bedding (optional).
- Dry on high heat to help kill any residual bacteria left behind.
If you have several dog beds in your house, washing beds once weekly can be time consuming and decrease bed life. To extend the life of your dog bed, using a dog bed cover makes cleaning easier.
LAYR makes a versatile dog bed sheet that fits small to medium sized dog beds. Sheets are made of microfiber polyester and Lycra blend that stretch to fit any sized bed. The elastic band wraps around the entire sheet to prevent movement. There’s many prints to choose from and new designs are coming soon. At time of publication, LAYR has 50% off all sheets, while supplies last.
We’ve only been using our LAYR sheet for a week, and we love it! The sheet is easier to wash than the entire dog bed. Pop off the sheet and toss in the wash. Cleaning the sheet is faster and doesn't need extra time in the dryer. Laundering the sheet saves wear and tear on your washing and drying machine (no more uneven loads)!
Keep your dog healthy and sleeping comfortably with clean bedding. Clean beds or covers at least weekly. If your dog is very active, you may need to wash bedding more often.